9 Intranet Examples That Illustrate ROI
See how an intranet works
Learn how an intranet works with this short video.
Table of Contents
9 mins read
Mon, Feb 13, '23
If you’re like most managers, you probably think of the intranet as simply a place where you go to find the HR policy manual or the latest company memo.
But did you know that intranets can be so much more?
We’ll show you nine intranet examples from sites doing employee communication right. These companies transformed their intranets into powerful tools for engaging employees, improving collaboration, and increasing efficiency.
By the end of this blog, you’ll see why an effective company intranet is one of the best investments you can make in 2023.
What is a company intranet, and why do you need one?
A company intranet is a private, secure network that’s only accessible to company employees.
It allows organizations to share information and resources internally. Most company intranets have a central location where employees can find everything they need, whether it’s the company directory, the latest news, or forms and templates.
There are many benefits of using a company intranet, including:
- Increased productivity: Employees can quickly find the information they need without searching multiple channels or contacting other departments.
- Improved communication: Intranets make it easy to share news and announcements with all employees, no matter their location.
- Organizational efficiency: Intranets can help streamline processes and reduce paper waste.
- Higher employee engagement: Intranet software boosts engagement with features like in-app surveys, employee recognition, and reaction emoji.
- Remote collaboration: Remote and hybrid teams can collaborate more effectively within an intranet software platform. It eliminates confusing email chains and ensures no work is overlooked in inboxes. And with a detailed, searchable employee directory, employees can find the right contacts quickly.
- Governance: Governance features help admins control access by team, individual, folder, or asset.
Now let’s look at some company intranet examples. We’ve gathered some of the best to show you what’s possible.
Company intranet examples: How these top companies use Happeo
It’s hard to top Happeo, an all-in-one intranet solution that makes it easy to create, share, and find information.
Here are a few examples of how our customers use Happeo to engage and connect with employees:
Trimble’s intranet digitally unites its 11,000-member global workforce
Trimble, an industrial technology company, was looking for a company intranet to unite its international workforce of over 11,000 employees.
With more than 150 locations worldwide in 40 different countries, Trimble needed an intranet platform that would provide:
- Seamless integration with Google Workspace
- Universal search functionality
- Channels to promote employee engagement and team culture
- Analytics to see what was and wasn’t working
- Custom branding to promote a consistent digital experience
With Happeo, Trimble created a global intranet that’s easy to use and navigate and transitioned from a static, one-way email broadcast to a two-way communication flow.
Trimble has three main channels on its Happeo intranet homepage:
- #HiCharlie spotlights community voices.
- Voices highlights what’s happening in the conference room.
- Leadership showcases voices from the executive team.
Trimble employees can now use Happeo to find the information they need in the moment, instead of waiting for replies or files from workers in different time zones..
“We went from a static, one-way email broadcast to a very dynamic way of communicating via Channels. And within those Channels, we can choose to make a permanent announcement and pin it at the top, or an article, for longer content, or a quick post — we can tailor our communications based on the content and the audience.”
Vice President of People Operations
Hunt Club’s company intranet helps make virtual onboarding a breeze
Hunt Club, a tech-enabled recruitment agency, was looking for an intranet to help with its virtual onboarding process.
When the company decided to add more than 50 employees within a year, Happeo helped bridge the gap by offering a way to organize and centralize information, so new and existing employees knew where to find it. The company chose Happeo because of its ease of use and ability to provide a consistent experience for all employees.
With Happeo, Hunt Club has a place to store and organize virtual onboarding materials. The company also uses Pages and Channels to manage it.
Happeo’s company intranet has helped Hunt Club improve employee communication by providing a dedicated space to collaborate.
ActivTrak’s intranet provides centralized information for teams
ActivTrak, a workplace productivity and analytics software company, needed an intranet to help them become a fully remote company.
The company’s list of must-haves included a:
- Platform to facilitate communication and employee engagement
- Space for every team to collaborate and build resources
- Universal search engine that makes it easy to find information
- Well-organized knowledge base
Happeo’s intranet has been a game-changer for ActivTrak. The intranet provides a central hub of information for the company’s distributed workforce. And all departments have their own Happeo page with relevant documents, files, and information.
EPT’s intranet connects frontline physicians with their back office
Emergency Physicians of Tidewater (EPT), an independent group of emergency medicine physicians and advanced practice providers, was looking for an intranet to connect its frontline physicians with its back office. Happeo was the solution EPT needed.
Happeo’s intranet platform helps EPT streamline communications for busy physicians who are often on the go. The company can share best practices, news, and announcements with its providers.
“I watch the analytics and every month our numbers go up in usage. It's the number one place you go to everyday. It's where you go for your news, where you go for your information, where you go for updates. The integration with Google Workspace and the ability to access documents quickly has been extremely helpful. The channels are perfect to keep everything organized and to strengthen our culture. And the ability to socialize, in addition to getting out information — that's important.”
EPT's IT Manager
Kairoi’s intranet drives success across locations and times zones
Kairoi Residential, a multifamily investment, development, and property management company, was looking for an employee-centric platform to reflect its culture.
Kairo understands the value of connection in achieving success. As a company with employees in multiple locations and time zones, they were looking for an intranet to help them stay connected and engaged.
With Happeo, employees can talk about their achievements, share company successes, and give recognition. This helps the company attract and retain top talent.
Happeo also allows leadership to support, encourage, and train employees in a fun and interactive way. For example, the asset management team has a channel where they host weekly training to help employees learn and grow.
OneGoal’s intranet improves internal communications
OneGoal is an organization that aims to increase post-secondary education access for students from low-income communities. Before adopting Happeo intranet, OneGoal communication was primarily by email. But with a workforce spread across different time zones, and the volume of email messages, employees struggled to keep up with information in their inboxes.
Happeo has improved internal communications, and leadership uses it to make announcements and see whether everyone has seen the announcement. Employees also don’t have to waste time searching through their inboxes for information.
Doctolib’s intranet streamlines knowledge management
Doctolib, a fast-growing health tech company in Europe, has many internal teams. Before adopting Happeo, the company found that there was no easy way to search knowledge across all teams or verify which versions of documents were correct. Doctolib employees were also using Slack to communicate, which didn’t offer the permanency or inclusiveness the company needed.
With Happeo, Doctolib now has a reliable and secure way to share information, implement version control, and communicate.
Leightons Opticians & Hearing Care unites its team with company intranet
Leightons, an optical and hearing care provider in the UK, previously used an on-premise intranet to manage communication. However, as the company expanded, and with more reps out in the field, an on-premise platform was insufficient for keeping everyone connected.
Now, Leightons uses Happeo to communicate and collaborate, which reduces inbox clutter and helps employees access information from wherever they are.
Happy Horizon uses intranet to improve onboarding
Happy Horizon is a Netherlands-based marketing agency that has expanded its reach by acquiring several businesses. With the ongoing expansion of its team, it needed a way to provide a welcoming and effective onboarding process for employees of newly acquired companies.
Happeo has helped the company onboard new hires, encourage their participation in the company culture, and improved knowledge sharing across the organization.
These company intranets are examples of what’s possible when you rethink your employee communication strategy!
Check out our blog post featuring corporate intranet homepage examples that will help keep employees engaged.
How to get started with your own corporate intranet
Now that you’ve seen some intranet examples, it’s time to start planning your company intranet.
- Choose the right platform. There are many intranet vendors on the market, so it’s essential to research, demo, and find the one that best fits your needs.
- Once you’ve selected your intranet platform, you’ll need to populate it with content. This can include company news, policies and procedures, forms and templates, and anything else your employees might need.
- Once your intranet is up and running, you’ll need to promote it to employees and encourage them to use it regularly. Make the intranet part of your company culture. You can also drive intranet usage by offering employees incentives, such as prizes for the most active intranet user or gift cards for employees who complete intranet training. Encouraging employees to use your intranet will take effort, but it’s worth it.
Ready to build your employee communication platform?
We’d love to chat about how Happeo can help!
Sign up for a free demo today.