Here, you can find all there is to know about Single Sign-On within your Happeo intranet and how it is accomplished using SAML
What is Single Sign-On?
Happeo only supports single-sign-on (SSO), an important cloud security technology that reduces all user application logins to one login. With SSO, users can already log in with their workplace credentials. This offers greater protection from unauthorised users accessing sensitive company data while allowing full convenience to employees.
In more detail, with SSO authentication several different application login screens are combined into one. The advantage of SSO is that users only need to enter a one-time username and password to access all websites, software, or apps. There are 6 steps to understand:
- The user arrives on the website (app or software) they want to use
- The site sends the user to a central SSO login tool and the user needs to sign in with a username and password
- The SSO domain authenticates username and password, validates the user, and creates an authentication token that remembers that the user is verified
- The user is sent back to the original site and the token acts as proof that they’ve been authenticated
- Any app the user accesses will check with the SSO service
- This grants the user access to associated websites, apps, or software that share the central SSO domain
What is SAML authentication?
Happeo supports SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language), an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorisation data between parties. SAML enables the use of Single Sign-On and makes users’ lives easier and safer because one set of credentials can be used to log in to many different websites.
Happeo uses SSO to ensure strong protection against unauthorised users and the way in which Happeo does this is through SAML.
How to setup SSO with SAML
The single sign-on (SSO) with SAML needs to have a custom domain. To get a custom domain for your Happeo instance, please contact our customer success representatives.
Happeo uses SAML 2.0. Using SAML SSO terminologies, Happeo acts as a Service Provider (SP). The company user directory acts as an Identity Provider (IdP).
Happeo Admin panel setup
In the Happeo admin panel, two inputs will need to be filled:
- The URL for the SAML 2.0 Metadata file of the IdP
- The SAML entityID property of that metadata
Company user directory setup
The Identity Provider will usually need two or more of the following:
- The entityID of the SP (this may be called Audience on some IdPs) - com:happeo:saml:sp
- The ACS URL - https://login.happeo.com/saml/SSO
- The SP metadata URL - https://login.happeo.com/saml/metadata
- The Sign-on URL - https://login.happeo.com/saml/login
In addition, the IdP needs to provide the user email address to the SP. This is done through attribute mappings, and the email should be mapped to the following property:
This email address is used to map the user to the account in Happeo. Please make sure that the SSO mail -attribute matches the Happeo primary email attribute.