This article provides a guide on how to search for specific content, how admins can create search connectors and how they are reviewed
Note: The Federated search package is needed to access this tool.
Table of contents
- What is it?
- How does it work?
- How to authenticate search connectors (apps)
- Where do search results come from?
- Install a search connector
- Create new search connector
What is it?
Federated search enables you to search for content in any of your SaaS products (other than Happeo and Google Workspace) through Happeo.
Some of the tools that you can perform searches for via Happeo include:
How does it work?
When a user types anything in Happeo’s search box, predictions will appear from all sources, including federated search apps (e.g. Slack). These predictions will only appear if they have been enabled in the Admin settings and have been authorised by an individual user. If you, as a regular user, would like to learn how to authenticate a search connector, please see the section below.
Note: Enabling federated search apps is done through Admin settings > Apps as opposed to Admin settings > Integrations. More information is provided below.
If the user clicks on a federated search item directly, it will redirect the user to the app in another tab and the user will be automatically logged in if they have already been authenticated.
If the user hits Enter, the user will be redirected to the search overview where they can see results from all sources. Search results from connected apps (e.g. Jira) will always appear at the bottom of this page. The user can then go to the search tab and only see results from a specific app.
How to authenticate search connectors (apps)
As a regular user, you must first authenticate the apps you wish to see search predictions from. To do this, first:
- Type in what you are looking for in Happeo’s search bar
- Hit Enter or scroll down through the search results and click on See all results for: “(what you typed in)”. This will bring you to a new window
- At the top of the page, you will see a list of tabs, some of which include apps that have been enabled by your platform admin. Click on the app you wish to see search results for
- A message will appear indicating that you have not authorised the app. Click on Authorise and follow the instructions
- Once you have logged in and authorised the app, navigate back to Happeo and refresh the page. You should now be able to view search results in both the search predictions and in the search overview for the app you enabled
Where do search results come from?
All the results and filters come directly from the search API of each of the search apps/connectors. Please note that search results and search predictions may vary, as they come from different endpoints. However, these will be kept the same as much as possible.
Install a search connector
As an admin, navigate to:
- Admin settings
- Marketplace Apps
- Here, you can find an overview of the apps available to be installed
- Choose the app which you want to connect and click Add to Happeo
- Once you’ve clicked on Add to Happeo, you will receive a notification stating that you’ve installed the app successfully. To finalise this process, you will need to enable the search app in the search settings. You can click on Take me there within the notification to complete this process
- If you don’t receive a notification, you can also select the Search tab within the Admin settings
- Within the Search tab, find the app you installed and toggle the option you wish to have enabled. You can choose between or both:
- Show in search (full search overview)
- Show in search predictions (search bar autocomplete)
Note: As an admin, you can set permissions on who can see results from the search connector. This is done by clicking on the search connector and adjusting the permissions through Share (from the Apps > manage app view). You can also adjust the permissions through Search > expand the app view > sharing permissions).
Create new search connector
If you want to create your own search connector, please refer to this article for instructions.
Are all search apps free and how can I purchase an app?
No, some apps will be paid and you will need to contact your customer success manager to get the apps installed.
What is the price of a search app?
Please contact your CSM for a quote.
Can search apps be made for all tools?
No, if a third party tool does not have a search API we will unfortunately not be able to make a connector for it. This is the current case with Google Chat, for example.
Can I make my own search app?
Yes, we will provide the required materials for it, however, you will have the responsibility of maintaining it. Typical development can take between 1-2 months for a search connector of a senior developer.
Why would a customer pay for my connectors if they can make their own for free?
Making a connector requires development resources, knowledge of the Happeo platform & the third party tool and intensive testing to make sure the connector works as it is intended. It also requires maintenance from the customer side.
We will offer a package of ready to go connectors that are maintained and improved over time by us as a means to make the process easy and hassle-free. We do envision that for very niche tools, customers will create their own connectors as we will not be able to integrate with every single tool available.
What is the search app roadmap?
We will launch with Jira, Confluence, Slack and have a few more apps on the roadmap. If you want to check if your desired app is already on our list, please check in with your CSM.